Gluten Free, Paleo and Keto Flourless Chocolate Cake
Just 5 ingredients, ridiculously easy, extra fudgy and intensely chocolatey!
- 6 ounces sugar free chocolate chips or 70-90% dark chocolate
- 8 tablespoons unsalted grass-fed butter
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 eggs whites and yolks divided, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons water (add only if using sugar-free erythritol based chocolate)
- 1/2 -2/3 cup swerve or coconut sugar if paleo
- Position a rack in the lower third of your oven and preheat to 350F. Grease and line with parchment paper an 8″ cake pan. Set aside.
- Melt chocolate and butter over a water bath, stirring frequently until smooth. Stir in cocoa powder, espresso powder and salt. if you’re using sugar-free chocolate with erytritol (such as Lily’s) the mixture will turn very thick – worry not! Remove from heat, stir in vanilla extract and allow the mixture to cool slightly while you prepare the rest.
- Add egg whites to a medium bowl and whisk util soft peaks forms. Be sure not to over do it, as stiff whites will be tougher to fold in. Set aside.
- Add egg yolks and sweetener to a large bowl and beat with an electric mixer until light and fluffy (about 3-5 minutes). Add in the prepared chocolate mixture in thirds, mixing fully before incorporating the next part. If using sugar-free chocolate add in a couple tablespoons water to loosen up the batter.
- Fold the egg whites gently in four parts, be very gentle as the batter will loosen up as you go.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for 23-26 minutes for fudgiest results and 27-30 minutes for cakey edges. Or until the center is just set and a toothpick inserted in comes out moist (not drenched). This really does vary from oven to oven, so give it a check from minute 15 and remember that you’re cake will continue to cook as it cools.
- Allow to cool completely, and to get extra clean edges place in the freezer for 10 minutes prior to cutting. Dust with cocoa powder right before serving and store in an airtight container at room temperature for 3-5 days.
Recipe Courtesy of Gnom-gnom.com