Chicken Enchilada Casserole with Cauliflower
Tasty Chicken Enchiladas
- 8 ounce Chicken Breast – cooked
- 1-1/2 pounds Cauliflower, cut into florets (about 7 heaping cups of florets)
- 1 tablespoon Extra-virgin olive oil (I use avocado oil)
- 1 tablespoon Garlic, minced
- 1 large Onion, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 1 10 ounce can Natural Red Enchilada Sauce, gluten free if needed
- 1 large Egg
- 1 Egg White
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- Pepper to taste
- 1 4 ounce can Diced Green Chiles
- 1 cup Mexican Cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and rub an 8×8 or 9×9 pan with olive oil
- Cook the cauliflower til fork tender, about 10-15 minutes
- Drain the cauliflower and place onto a kitchen towel to cool for 10 minutes, or until cool enough to handle.
- While the cauliflower cooks, heat the olive oil in a large, high-sided pan on medium heat. Add the garlic, onion and taco seasoning and cook until lightly golden brown, stirring frequently or about 3-5 minutes.
- Add in the can of enchilada sauce and bring to a boil, boiling for 1 minute. Reduce the heat down to medium and simmer until the sauce is reduced and thick, about 7 minutes.
- Once the cauliflower is cool enough to handle, wrap it in the kitchen towel and wring out as much of the water as possible. Really put some muscle into this because you don’t want a soggy casserole! I like to do this twice, using 2 towels, to really get out the water.
- Place the cauliflower into a large food processor, along with the egg, egg white, salt and a generous pinch of pepper. Add in the enchilada sauce mixture and process until the mixture is smooth. Transfer into a large bowl.
- Shred the cooked chicken and add it to the bowl, along with the green chiles, stirring until well mixed.
- Transfer into the prepared pan and cover with tinfoil. Cook for 30 minutes, then remove the tinfoil and cook for another 30-40 minutes, or until the casserole feels set and the sides are lightly browned. Sprinkle with cheese and cook an additional couple of minutes, until the cheese is melted.
- Cover and let sit for 10 minutes, then slice and serve.
- Garnish with cilantro, tomatoes, avocado and sour cream.