Cabbage Noodle Tuna Casserole - Low Carb, Gluten Free
Your favorite Tuna Noodle Casserole done as low carb with Cabbage.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- medium head green cabbage (about 1-1/2 lbs) cut into large shreds
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 3 ribs celery, chopped
- 2 gloves garlic, minced
- sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 2 teaspoon dried dill or 2 tablespoons fresh dill
- 2 teaspoon dry mustard powder
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated, divided
- 3-5 ounce cans albacore tuna, drained
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- Heat the olive oil and butter in an extra large ovenproof skillet over medium heat.
- Once heated, add the cabbage, onion, celery, garlic, sea salt and black pepper to the pan.
- Saute until the vegetables are crisp tender – about 10 minutes.
- Mix in the dill, mustard powder, lemon zest, and lemon juice.
- Pour the heavy cream and 1 cup Parmesan cheese into the pan. Mix in and keep stirring until the cheese has melted and combined with the heavy cream.
- Reduce heat to medium low and let simmer to allow the sauce to thicken.
- Once the sauce has started to thicken, stir in the tuna and the peas.
- Sprinkle the remaining Parmesan over the top of the dish and transfer to the oven.
- Broil on high for 3-5 minutes or until the Parmesan on top has made a golden brown crust.
Recipe Courtesy of peaceloveandlowcarb.com