Cheesy Chicken Poblano Casserole
A Mexican Inspired Casserole that the Whole Family will Enjoy!
- 4 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1/3 cup tomato based salsa (I added a little more than 1/3 cup)
- 1/2 cup full fat sour cream
- 1/4 cup scallions, chopped
- 2 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- 2 cups Sargento Mexican Cheese mix, shredded
- 3-4 medium poblano peppers (or next time I will use a 2 cans of green chilies)
- Combine the shredded chicken, salsa, sour creams, scallions, cilantro, 1-1/2 cups of Mexican cheese mix (reserve 1/2 cup of cheese for topping) in a large bowl. Mix thoroughly and set aside.
- Wash and spread the whole poblano peppers on a cookie sheet. Set under the oven broiler on high for about 3 minutes per side, or until the skin is blackened. Remove and cover with a clean towel for 10 minutes to steam and cool.
- Remove the towel and peel the skins from the peppers. Then gently chop the peppers after removing the seeds and pith.
- Mix poblano peppers into the chicken mixture and gently mix. Spoon into a casserole dish and sprinkle on the reserved cheese.
- Bake at 375 degrees for about 39 minutes or until bubbling. Remove and serve hot with additional sour cream, salsa, green onions and cilantro if desired.