French Onion Meatloaf
This is the pinnacle of low carb comfort food
- 2 tablespoons butter or bacon grease
- 1 large white onion cut in half lengthwise and thinly sliced
- salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb ground pork or another lb ground beef
- 1 cup ground park rinds or 1/2 cup almond flour
- 2 teaspoon onion powder
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 large egg
- 4 ounces Gruyere cheese grated
1. In a large skillet over low heat, melt the butter or bacon grease. Once melted, add the sliced onions and toss to coat. Sprinkle with salt and cook, stirring frequently, until the onions are soft and golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes.
2. Stir in the thyme leaves, cook one more minute, then remove from heat and set aside.
3. Preheat the oven to 350F and line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
4. In a large bowl, combine the ground meat, pork rinds, onion powder, pepper and an additional 1/2 teaspoon salt. Stir in the egg and half of the caramelized onions, then use your hands to thoroughly combine.
5. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet and form the mixture into a loaf about 5 by 9″. Bake 40 to 50 minutes, until the internal temperature reaches 160F. remove and turn off the oven.
6. Top with the shredded cheese and the remaining onions and place back in the warm oven to melt the cheese, about 5 minutes.
Recipe Courtesy of alldayIdreamaboutfood.com