We live in a time plagued by unprecedented obesity rates. The latest government data reveals that some 100 million Americans are now obese!
Why do people continue to go on DIETS? (Remember that word means DIE and it’s always short term)
- I just want to feel better. Dr. Mimi Guarneri, MD cardiologist and president of the Academy of Integrative Health and Medicine says “They’re tired and sluggish and in pain and experiencing side effects of lugging around excess weight – like sore backs and achy knees. More than just the pain, their confidence is shot. They feel bad that their clothes no longer fit and they aren’t happy with the way they look.”
- I just want to Unleash My Real Self. Alexis Conason, Psy.D, a NYC-based psychologist says most of her work is helping people to overcome destructive body image and overeating. The main problem is that even if people lose the weight if they don’t change their mindset and stop DIETING, nothing changes. It has to be a lifestyle change.
- I just want to Qualify for Bariatric Surgery. Dr Wilnise Jasmin, MD says that a lot of people come to her with wanting to relieve sleep apnea and ease painful osteoarthritis and qualify for bariatric surgery. Dr. Jasmine tells patients not to DIET, but to gradually make small daily changes that can permanently alter the way you eat.
- I just want to Feel in Control. Dr. Conason says the desire to diet may also stem from a desire to take charge. “The ironic thing is that the more diets and strict rules we place on ourselves, the more out of control we feel” says Conason. She recommends to stop dieting and develop a more loving relationship with yourself, eat in a way that fosters that, and find ways other than food to nurture emotional needs.
- I just want to Reverse This Health Issue. A lot of times it takes a health scare to get people to make changes. Dr. Guarneri’s sees patients who are at risk for heart disease, Type 2 diabetes and they are tired of being sick and on all kinds of medications. They have finally realized if they don’t do something they will be in real trouble. She says “You can reverse heart disease and significantly improve diabetes, fatty liver, osteoporosis and other chronic diseases by making lifestyle changes.”
- I just want to Do Things I Love Again. Jill Weisenberger, M.S. R.D.N. who wrote Prediabetes: A Complete Guide says “There’s nearly always some emotion tied to a client’s decision to seek my expertise”. She works with clients to kick extreme dieting to the curb.
These are just some of the reasons why people want to DIET. As we’ve talked in the past year – let’s get rid of the DIET and change to a healthy LIFESTYLE.
Where do you fit in above? Is it going to take a health scare? Do you just want to Feel Better? Let’s learn to do what Dr. Guarneri recommends and just make a few lifestyle changes.
One of those changes could be a Low Carb Keto Lifestyle or maybe just getting rid of bread and eating a healthier substitute – like low carb tortillas or if you live on the west coast Franz makes a Keto bread that is awesome with 0 net carbs.
Weight doesn’t just all of a sudden show up on our bodies – it takes months and years to get that weight on. One of our biggest issues is the fact we all want instantaneous results. If you just take one thing away this week and one thing away next week and you start cooking at home and buying foods on the outer aisle of the grocery stores then you are well on your way to a healthier lifestyle.
Or just add a little exercise or start walking. There is an ap called couch to 5k. It is designed for you to go from the couch to running in a 5k, but there is no reason why you can’t just decide to use it and walk a 5k. That’s what a bunch of us are doing this Saturday.