Low Carb & Keto Apple Crumble
Crisp, sweet, and you'll never know it's not apples
- For the almond crumble
- 1/3 cup almond flour
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- 2-4 tablespoons golden swerve to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons grass-fed butter cold and diced
- 2 tablespoons pecans roughly chopped For the filling
- 10 ounces chayote squash (or you can use zuchinni) peeled, cored and diced
- 1-2 tablespoons golden swerve to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1-2 tablespoons lemon juice to taste
- 1/2-1 teaspoon apple extract to taste
- 2 tablespoons grass-fed butter
- Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly toast almond flour in a skillet or pan over medium heat, until fully golden and fragrant (2-4 minutes). This is very important taste wise so don’t skip it.
- Whisk thoroughly together in a small bowl the toasted almond flour, coconut flour, sweetener, cinnamon and salt. Add in butter and rub the mixture with your fingertips until it resembles coarse bread crumbs. Incorporate pecans and set aside.
- Mix together, in a rimmed baking tray or dish, squash, sweetener, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and lemon juice (starting with 1 tablespoon, tasting and adding more as needed). Add in apple extract, starting with just 1/2 teaspoon, adding more to taste. You can alternatively cook the filling a bit on the stove-top to nail the flavors.
- Top with crumble mixture and bake for 25 to 27 minutes, covering the crumble with foil after 10 minutes to avoid excessive browning.
- Allow to cool for at least 15 minutes to allow the flavors to mingle, or store refrigerated for up to 3 days.
Serve for Breakfast or with your favorite Keto Ice Cream as Dessert