Gluten Free & Keto Chocolate Cupcakes
Think an intensely chocolatey and moist cupcake, topped off with a ridiculous chocolate buttercream frosting.
- For the chocolate cupcakes
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 3 tablespoons golden flaxseed meal or psyllium husk, finely ground
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/4 cup unsalted grass-fed butter
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/3 – 1/2 cup xylitol or erythritol
- 2 eggs For the chocolate buttercream frosting
- 5 tablespoons unsalted grass-fed butter at room temperature
- 5 tablespoons cream cheese at room temperature
- 2-4 tablespoons powdered swerve
- 1-3 tablespoons cocoa powder to taste (I used 1 tablespoon)
- 1/4 teaspoon espresso powder
- pinch of kosher salt as needed
- For the Chocolate cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a muffin pan, set aside.
- Add almond flour. flaxseed meal, coconut flour, baking powder and xanthan gum to a medium bowl. Whisk until thoroughly combined, set aside.
- Add butter, heavy cream, cocoa powder and salt to a large heatproof bowl. Melt over a water bath whisking constantly (or use the microwave in small bursts.) Remove from heat and allow the mixture to cool slightly.
- Add in the sweetener and one egg at a time, whisking well after each one until completely incorporated. The texture should appear smooth and thick, with all the sweetener disolving into the mixture (if using erythritol, granules will remain). Add the flour mixture, whisking vigorously until fully blended (about a minute). Divide the batter into prepared muffin pan.
- Bake for 14-17 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Always keep in mind, however, that your cupcakes will continue to cook while cooling.
- Allow to cool for at least 15 minutes in the muffin pan. They’ll be particularly fragile right out of the oven, so you need to let them set. Keep stored in an airtight container for 3-4 days. For the chocolate buttercream frosting.
- Add the butter, cream cheese and sweetener to a large bowl. Cream the mixture with your mixer using paddle attachment until light and fluffy, about 10 minutes. You’ll want to scrape the bowl every so often to ensure an even mixture. Add cocoa powder to taste, espresso powder and salt and continue to beat until fully incorporated.
- Transfer frosting to a piping bag with a tip and decorate each cupcake. 3 The cupcakes keep well, stored in an airtight container in the fridge, for about 3 days. And they also freeze beautifully just thaw it out in the fridge overnight.