The Flakiest Gluten Free and Keto Pie Crust
Super flaky, buttery and tasty and ideal to use to make anything from pies to empanadas to pasties to meat pies.
- 1 cup almond flour
- 5 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest or orange zest (optional)
- 3 1/2 tablespoons unsalted grass fed butter cold
- 1/4 cup cream cheese cold
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- egg wash optional (for glossy finish)
- Add almond flour, coconut flour, xanthan gum, salt and zest (optional) to food processor and pulse until evenly combined.
- Add butter and cream cheese and pulse for just a few seconds until crumbly. Add in egg and vinegar and pulse until the dough just begins to come together (but stop before it forms into a ball). Like with any pastry dough, make sure not to over process the dough. The mixture ought to resemble coarse breadcrumbs rather than cookie dough.
- Turn out the dough onto cling film and pat into a round.
- Refrigerate for at least one hour, or up to 3 days. you can, alternatively freeze the pie crust at this point and thaw out as needed (just like regular pie crust).
- Roll out he crust between parchment paper. It’s more fragile than regular pie crust, so you need to work quickly and in cold conditions. you can patch up any cracks that occur by pinching the dough together. And if at any point the crust becomes unmanageable, simply pop it in the freezer for 5-10 minutes before carrying on.
- Once shaped (pie, empanadas, etc), pop it in the freezer for 10-15 minutes prior to baking (as it will help to keep its shape better and come out flakier). Brush with egg wash for a glossy finish (optional, but highly suggested).
- Fill with your favorite filling and bake per pie recipe.