Keto Swedish Meatballs
These gluten free and keto Swedish meatballs are a terrific spinoff of a traditional family recipe. Think juicy and incredibly flavorful meatballs, bathed in a creamy and luscious gravy! Serve with green beans and mashed cauliflower!
- 4 tablespoons grass-fed butter divided
- 1 medium white onion finely chopped
- 1 pound ground beef (chuck works great)
- 1/4 cup almond flour or crushed pork rinds
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 egg slightly beaten
- 1/2 cup heavy cream divided
- extra virgin olive oil for cooking
- 2 cups beef broth to taste
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2-1 teaspoon arrowroot powder (or xanthan gum)
- Melt a tablespoon of butter in a skillet or pan over medium heat. Add the onion, a pinch of salt, and saute until it just begins to caramelize (6-8 minutes). Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Add the ground meat, almond flour (or pork rind panko), salt, spices, cooked onion, egg and 2 tablespoons of heavy cream to a large bowl. Mix everything thoroughly together using your hands and form into rounds (either 20 small-ish ones or 14 large).
- Heat up a touch of olive oil in your skillet over medium heat and cook the meatballs until brown all over and cooked through. You’ll want to turn them around a few times so they cook evenly. Transfer to a plate and cover with foil while you make the sauce.
- Add the remaining butter to the skillet and cook until it begins to brown (don’t clean the meatball remnants as they add the flavor to the sauce!) Add in the broth, remaining heavy cream and mustard to deglaze the pan. Allow to simmer for a couple minutes and make a slurry out of your thickener of choice (i.e. mix it with a couple tablespoons of cold water prior to adding it to avoid clumping). Continue to simmer until the sauce just begins to thicken and taste for seasoning.
- Add the meatballs back into the skillet, simmer for a couple more minutes and serve right away (think over a bed of mashed cauliflower).
Recipe Courtesy of gnom-gnom.com