Healthy Veal Scallopini Piccata
This healthy veal scallopini recipe looks fancy, but it's actually a quick 20 minute dinner!
- 1 pound Veal cutlets
- 1/2 teaspoon Sea salt (plus more to taste at the end)
- 1/4 teaspoon Black pepper (plus more to taste at the end)
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- 3 tablespoons Butter (divided into 1 tbsp and 2 tbsp)
- 4 cloves Garlic minced
- 1/2 cup White cooking wine
- 1/2 cup Chicken bone broth
- 1/4 cup Lemon juice
- 1/4 cup Capers drained
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley (optional, for serving)
- Pound the veal cutlets using the flat side of a meat tenderizer to 1/8″ thickness. Season both sides with salt and pepper.
- In a 12″ skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat, until shimmering. Working in batches, add the veal cutlets in a single layer. Saute for about 30-45 seconds per side, until juices run clear. Transfer to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm. Repeat with all the veal cutlets, adding the remaining olive oil halfway through.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add a tablespoon of butter to the pan. Add minced garlic and saute for about a minute until fragrant.
- Add the white wine, broth, and lemon juice. Scrape the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon or spatula to release any browned bits (this is called deglazing). Add the capers. Increase heat to bring to a boil, then simmer for 7-10 minutes, until volume is reduced by half and slightly thickened.
- Stir in remaining butter, until melted. Simmer for another 3-4 minutes, until thickened. Taste and adjust salt and pepper to taste, if desired.
- Return the veal to the pan and coat in sauce. Serve with fresh parsley, if desired.
Recipe Courtesy of WholesomeYum.com