Low Carb Gluten-Free Keto Soft Pretzels
Learn how to make keto pretzels with this EASY gluten-free soft pretzels recipe. These chewy low carb pretzels are made with fathead dough and yeast.
- 1 packet Active dry yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons)
- 1/4 cup water (lukewarm)
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut sugar (this will be consumed by the yeast and is required)
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1 tablespoon gluten-free baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Zanthan gum (optional, for more chewy pretzels)
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 3 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- In a medium bowl, stir together the warm water and coconut sugar. Stir in the yeast and set aside for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the almond flour, baking powder, xanthan gum, eggs into a food processor. When the yeast is done proofing and has increased in volume to 1/2 cup, add it to the food processor and pulse until uniform.
- In a 3rd medium bowl, combine the shredded mozzarella and cream cheese. Heat in the microwave, or in a double boiler on the stove, until melted. Stir until smooth and uniform.
- Add the cheese to the food processor, positioning the cheese over the blade. Process until a uniform dough forms, scraping the sides with a spatula if necessary.
- Chill the dough in the fridge for 15-20 minutes, until it’s not too sticky to work with.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using oiled hands, form a ball with the dough. Cut it into 6 sections, like a pie. Roll each section into a long, skinny log, about 18 inches long. Twist into a pretzel by taking one end of the pretzel and looping it around and down across the bottom, then repeat with the other end, crossing over the first one. Place onto the baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining dough sections.
- Sprinkle coarse sea salt over the pretzels and press down lightly.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, until golden.
Recipe Courtesy of wholesomeyum.com