Low-Carb Deconstructed Pizza Casserole
Comfort food casserole your whole family will enjoy
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes
- 5 links (19.5 oz) uncooked turkey or pork Italian sausage (or I used hamburger)
- 4 teaspoons olive oil (I use avocado oil) divided
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8-12 oz fresh mushrooms (I use portobella mushrooms) washed and cut into thick slices
- 1-1/2 cup grated Mozzarella cheese
- 15 slices pepperoni, cut in half
- 1 medium onion
- Preheat oven to 400F/200C. Spray an 8″ x 11″ glass casserole dish with non-stick spray or olive oil.
- Pour the diced tomatoes into a colander placed in the sink and rinse with cold water. Let tomatoes drain a minute or two, then spread them out on paper towels to dry (or blot dry with another paper towel on top).
- While tomatoes dry, heat 2 teaspoons avocado oil in a large non-stick frying pan, put the burger in the pan and cook over medium-high heat until it’s nicely browned, breaking it apart as it cooks.
- While meat cooks, wash mushrooms, pat dry and slice into thick slices.
- When meat is done, drain grease off, then layer meat in the bottom of the casserole dish and top with the drained tomatoes, spreading them out over the top of the meat. Season with dried oregano, salt and pepper.
- Wipe out the pan if needed, then heat the other 2 teaspoons of avocado oil over medium-high heat. When the pan is hot add the onions and let them start to cook. Then add the mushrooms and let them cook, stirring a few times, until all the liquid is released and the mushrooms and onions are starting to brown. Layer the mushroom onion mixture over the meat-tomato mixture.
- Cut pepperoni in half. Sprinkle the grated Mozzarella over the top of the casserole and lay the pepperoni pieces on top of the cheese, spacing them evenly so the whole top is covered with pepperoni.
- Bake about 25 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and starting to brown. Serve hot.