Strawberry Gluten Free & Keto Pop Tarts
- For the strawberry filling
- 1-1/2 cup strawberries fresh or frozen
- 1/2 cup raspberries or more strawberries
- 1-4 teaspoons erythritol xylitol or swerve to taste
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 2 tablesppons chia seeds or more as needed For the pie crust
- 1 batch best pie crust ever – see link below recipe with 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 egg lightly beaten for egg wash For the cheesecake glaze
- 1/4 cup cream cheese softened
- 2 tablespoons unsalted grass-fed butter
- 2-4 tablespoons powdered erythritol xylitol or swerve to taste
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch kosher salt
- heavy cream or almond milk as needed
- For the srawberry chia jam
- Cook your strawberries and raspberries in a saucepan over medium heat until they begin to break down, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the lemon juice and sweetener of choice (to taste). Mash it down or leave it chunky. Cook for 5 more minutes, remove from heat and stir in the chia seeds. Let stand until it begins to thicken, adding water if needed to thin out until desired consistency is reached.
- Allow to cool to room temperature and store in an airtight container in the fridge for a week or two and in the freezer for up to three months. For the pie crust
- See link below
- Make a batch of our super flakey pie crist and chill while the strawberry jam is setting. I also highly suggest you add a teaspoon of orange zest to the crust. To assemble the pop tarts
- Preheat oven to 400F. Line a baking tray with a mat or parchment paper.
- Roll out pastry dough in between two sheets of parchment paper, lightly dusting with coconut flour as needed. Cut into desired size (I suggest making 8 pop tarts, as they’re very filling.)
- Brush edges with egg wash and spoon a couple tablespoons of the chilled chia jam. Press edges together and press down with a fork. If there are any cracks, simply pinch the dough together. As with regular pie crust, try to work quickly or put your dough back in the fridge for 15 minutes if it begins to warm up too much.
- Place pop tarts in prepared tray, cut a few slits on the top with a sharp knife, freeze for 15 minutes, brush with egg wash and bake for 20-30 minutes, until golden all over. Baking time can vary a lot from oven to oven so be sure to check in on them at minute 10. Allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving.
- Make the glaze while the pop tarts are cooking by creaming together with your mixer the cream cheese, butter and powdered sweetener until light and fluffy. Add in the vanilla extract, salt, and adjust texture to taste with a teaspoon of milk at a time. keep in mind that unless you add a lot of sweetener, your glaze won’t set completely.
- Store them unglazed in an airtight container, at room temperature for 2-3 days. Alternatively you can freeze them unbaked or baked for about a month.
Recipe for the best pie crust